Hnefatafl, the game of the Vikings, also known commercially as 'Viking Chess'. This strategy board game traveled with Scandinavian explorers, traders, and raiders alike, and was adopted by many of the cultures they came in contact with. This particular variant has no historical precedent; using a grid size between the biggest Viking board known (the 15x15 Coppergate) and the Anglo-Saxon Alea Evangelii, it could be considered a "fantasy board" - and thus it's artwork and some play tactics reflect that. There are a great number of variants utilizing the challenging and diverse tafl game mechanics; all ultimately derived from the original historical sources and extant finds. Hnefatafl is an intriguing way to learn strategy and tactics, as well as an excellent means to spend quality time with a friend or family member. Each board is created uniquely from the next as a functional piece of art and is sure to bring enjoyment for generations to come.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• LEAD TIME: 5-7 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please inquire if a specific due date is needed)
• FREE SHIPPING for domestic U.S. orders
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple, Poplar [Sample Chart included in Photos]
(all woods are finished with a natural, non-pigmented stain, then sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Plain, Trimmed [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 8+ designs, from popular fantasy/sci-fi culture [Sample Chart included in Photos]
More designs on the way; custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 21x21x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 73 ‘people peg’-style pawns, 2 dice (drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
> Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board:
> Laser-Engraved Inlays - add precise graphical elements to the playing grid
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Two play variants will have their open positions denoted by inlaid wood(s) and shaded or textured squares, complementing the completed board.
• HOW TO PLAY: The King, starting from an opening position at the center square, wins the game if he reaches any one of the squares along the outer grid edge, or alternately, any of the four corners. All pieces move as a rook does in Chess; no diagonal movement is allowed. The attackers win if they capture the King by flanking or surrounding him with two or more of their number. Additionally, for this 17-square variant, special "attribute" squares are located on the board, which can give the King an ability, like escaping a capture, if it lands on one (landing on the square grants the defending player a token, which can be 'spent' for this purpose; the attacking player can 'destroy' the square, should they surround it). Also included is a pair of dice, with different options for how they are used in a game. The strategies involved, as well as modifications to the rules of capture and movement for the different variants, can make the game more difficult than the base gameplay mechanics may suggest.
This 17x17 grid board game will come with artistic detail and inlays denoting the opening positions for two game variants that can be played on this size grid, but other variants and even ‘house rules’ games can be adapted easily due to the relatively flexible mechanics of the game.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:https://www.ignitedartsofmaine.comhttps://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item. Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker.