Fidchell was an ancient Celtic board game, deeply rooted in the history of the Irish and Welsh alike. The circular version of the game is a more modern realization of the original, based upon our knowledge of Celtic symbolism, mythology, and even the ancient Celtic calendar. The game itself is intensely challenging despite its simple premise, and has a high potential of repeated and variable play. Each Fidchell game board is created as a functional piece of art with heirloom potential, built to last for generations - a splendid way to spend quality time with a friend or family member.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• LEAD TIME: 4-6 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by art selected, current workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop
Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• FREE SHIPPING for domestic U.S. orders
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos]
(all woods are finished with a natural, non-pigmented stain, then sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Carved, Plain, Trimmed [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 17 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos]: Select designs may be paired with others for unique combinations! Please use the "ARTWORK
SELECTION" drop-down in reference to the sample charts. Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 15x15x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 55 glass marbles, 27 white / 27 black, with a larger red or blue navel stone (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board: https://www.etsy.com/listing/786439555/color-enhancements-upgrade-option-to?ref=shop_home_active_8&frs=1
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Drilled depressions are inlaid with wood(s) complementing the completed board.
• HOW TO PLAY: The King (or Navel Stone as it is also known - the one larger than the rest) is first placed in the center of the board, where it remains for the majority of the game. Each player starts with 27 'stones'; either White or the loser of the previous game goes first, players taking turns to place one stone at a time into vacant spaces. An enemy piece is captured by trapping it between two opponents. Capturing an enemy's piece grants another turn; this can be repeated any number of times. Captured stones go out of play until the game's end. When there are no more stones to place down, those on the board become free to move along any one line until they meet an obstruction, and capture still entitles another move. At this point, when either player starts to move their pieces, the King stone becomes alive to both of them as a friendly piece, and can be used to capture opposing men. The object for both sides is to create a continuous but not necessarily straight line of their own stones linking the center of the board to the outermost circle. The first to succeed is the winner.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:https://www.ignitedartsdesign.comhttps://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).