Also known as the French Military Game, Hare & Hounds is played on a small board of eleven points. The game is believed to have originated in 19th century France, and became popular with the French military during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871; this gave rise to its alternative title "French Military Game". This handcrafted wooden game can be highly challenging despite it's small size, with underlying diverse mathematical strategies. The board and pieces are highly portable; the pawns are contained within the board itself for easy storage and transport. The heirloom-quality game is built to be enjoyed and admired for generations. This small piece of functional art would make a unique and cherished addition to any board gamer's collection, and is an excellent way to spend quality time with a friend or family member.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 2 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple (examples of each are included in the Photos), wood and artwork is sealed with a satin lacquer.
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Inscribed, Plain, Trimmed (examples included in the Photos)
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 2 Design Pairs, as shown; Celtic-style interpretations of hounds and hares, with optional 'tracks' in the open positions of each player. Natural variances
will occur in each board created. Custom artwork requests are always welcome - please message me!
• MEASUREMENTS: 8x6x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 4 pawns ('people peg' type, in two differing styles) - pawns are stored in a magnetized swivel-top compartment within the board itself.
• HOW TO PLAY: Hare & Hounds is played by two players on a board of eleven points, connected by lines of movement. One player takes the part of three hunters (hounds), the other the part of a single prey piece (hare). First the hunter player moves one of his pieces, then the prey moves, play alternating thereafter until the game is ended. A hunter piece may move one step along a marked line in any forward or sideways direction, but never backward or diagonally. The prey may move one step in any direction along a marked line. There is no jumping or capturing; rather, the prey wins by passing the hunters and reaching the opposite end of the board from which they started. The hunters win by trapping the prey so that it cannot move in its turn. If the hunters do not advance for ten turns, then they are judged to be stalling, and the prey therefore wins the game. An alternative to the original game has the Hare player starting the game in the centermost space. A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:https://www.ignitedartsdesign.comhttps://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).