Hnefatafl, the game of the Vikings. This strategy board game traveled with Scandinavian explorers, traders, and raiders alike, and was adopted by many of the cultures they came in contact with. This particular variant was popular with the ancient Welsh, and several extant boards with similar grid markings have been discovered in Wales as well as other parts of Europe. There are a great number of variants utilizing the tafl game mechanics; all ultimately derived from the original historical sources and extant finds. Hnefatafl is an intriguing way to learn strategy and tactics, as well as an excellent means to spend quality time with a friend or family member. Each board is created uniquely from the next as a functional piece of art with heirloom potential.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• LEAD TIME: 4 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info
on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• FREE SHIPPING for domestic U.S. orders
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Ash, Cherry, Maple, Poplar [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Carved, Plain [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 25 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos]
Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 15x15x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 37 ‘people peg’-style pawns (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
> Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board:
> Laser-Engraved Inlays - add precise graphical elements to the playing grid
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Historical open positions are inlaid with wood(s) complementing the completed board.
• HOW TO PLAY: The King, starting from an opening position at the center square, wins the game if he reaches any one of the corner squares along the outer grid edge. All pieces move as a rook does in Chess. The attackers win if they capture the King by flanking or surrounding him with two or more of their number. The strategies involved, as well as modifications to the rules of capture and movement for the different variants, can make the game more difficult than the base gameplay mechanics suggest. This 11x11 grid board game will come with artwork denoting the opening positions for two game variants that can be played on this size grid – contemporary “Skjaldborg” (also known as “Copenhagen”) and historic “Tawlbwrdd”, but other variants and even ‘house rules’ games can be adapted easily.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:https://www.ignitedartsdesign.comhttps://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).