A portable folding "Tablut Hnefatafl" game, originating from Lapland (Finland), uniquely handcrafted of black walnut hardwood and leather with laser-engraved artwork; a traditional board game of strategic capture with a unique design allowing for easy storage and travel - an IGNITED Arts exclusive! A prominent game that has endured the test of time, from the Viking Age to the eighteenth century, this game is now experiencing a resurgence in popularity in our modern day. A functional piece of rustic art that is sure to bring enjoyment to players of all ages for years to come; the multiple strategies involved are as diverse and compelling as chess. This is a folding portable board game, very suitable for traveling and carrying to events, such as Renaissance Faires, LARP events, reenactment gatherings, picnics, camping trips, etc.
This item is READY TO SHIP; the pictures are of the actual board and pieces you will receive upon purchase.
• Hnefatafl board constructed of 3/8" thickness black walnut wood and backed/hinged with leather; handcrafted and decorated with a historically-inspired artistic border, burned into the surface of the wood by a powerful laser engraver.
• All artwork and gameplay gridwork are laser-engraved into the surface of the wood. The board is treated with a natural oil and then lacquered with a satin finish to protect the surface and artistic details. No pigmented stains are used for the board itself. The artwork featured on this board is the recognizable Jellinge [Jelling] Dragon, a beast figure taken from an actual carving found on a stave church.
• The board is comprised of four 4.5-inch square panels, paired and hinged with durable quality leather, which is glued and tacked to the wood, also adding further resiliency and durability to the wood panels. The two halves of the board are magnetized on their joining edges with N52 grade magnets, to keep the halves firmly together and in place during gameplay. Total size of the board when assembled for play is 9x9 inches.
• Board has a playing grid area comprised of 9x9 squares, measuring 6.75 inches; the playing grid is offset so that the joints in the board do not intersect the playing squares. This allows for artwork on the two larger sides only; the other narrower sides are inscribed in runic with the following: "A warrior must keep his blades sharp / Yet his wits must be sharper still".
• Playing pieces (25 total) are included. The wood pawns are produced by a local woodworking supplier, stained and finished by me in complement to the board. A muslin drawstring bag is included for storage and transport of the pieces.
GAME HISTORY / HOW TO PLAY:
• Hnefatafl (pronounced "neffa-toffel") was invented by the Vikings and taken to all corners of the Viking world: from Scandinavia to Russia, Germany to the British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, and even as far as Turkey and Newfoundland. It was such a good game of strategy and cunning that not only did the Vikings play it but also the people they came into contact with; the Anglo Saxons, the Celts, and the Sami in Lapland all came to love the game and produced their own variants. Hnefatafl is mentioned in the sagas, and skill in the game was held as a worthy virtue in Viking society. It has been theorized that hnefatafl predates the game of Chess by nearly 500 years.
• The King, starting from an opening position at the center square (commonly called the "throne"), wins the game if he reaches any one of the squares along the grid's outer edge. The attackers win if they capture the King. Captures are performed by flanking or surrounding an enemy piece on two or more sides. The strategies involved in these actions can make the game more challenging than the simple rules suggest. There are also variable rules available that can be implemented for a different game experience.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
SHIPPING / PROCESSING TIMES:
• Shipping/processing time for this board of this type is 1-3 business days after purchase date. Board and pieces will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail; if another service is desired, please contact me prior to ordering.
You can keep up-to-date on events and projects in the works on:
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.