Merels Game, also known as "Morris", "the Mill Game", or simply "Mills". An ancient strategy game, handcrafted from quality hardwood, with contrasting metal or wood inlays at the grid points and pyrographed artistic decoration surrounding the playing grid. A fully customizable traditional board game as well as a piece of functional art that will challenge the mind and please the eyes for generations. The Morris games are amongst the oldest games known to man, and throughout the centuries have seen multiple surges in popularity and further expansion. On this board, players have the option of playing any one of the three most popular variants of the game; Six-, Nine-, and Twelve-Men’s Morris, each game with its own rules for movement and differing piece counts per player.
This is a MADE-TO-ORDER item, with an estimated completion time of 2-3 weeks. The boards pictured are only photographic examples. Your board will be created to your selected specifications - no two boards will ever look the same.
*Charts for ARTWORK SELECTION and WOOD / EDGE TYPE are located in the photos. Artwork, wood, and edge types are not restricted to those offered for any particular "MADE-TO-ORDER" item. Artwork options vary from item to item within the IGNITED shop, and are interchangeable in most cases; please message me with your specific request(s). Customer-supplied artwork is always welcomed!
• Morris board constructed of 3/4" thickness hardwood (your choice of cherry or maple); handcrafted and decorated with your choice of art ,edge, and inlay style.
• All artwork achieved through the use of pyrography, the art of wood-burning. Artwork available varies from historical to modern historically-inspired designs. Custom art requests and submissions are always welcome; please contact me so that we may discuss the details.
• The intersections of the playing grid, where the pieces are set during gameplay, are drilled out slightly and inlaid with circular metal or wooden blanks, in complement to the wood type and art style selected.
• Board has a playing grid area of 7x7 inches, with a 2-inch artistic border surrounding the grid, for a total board size of approximately 11 inches square.
• Playing pieces (24 total) are included. Made in the U.S. by a local woodworking supply shop, then stained and finished by me in complement to the board. A drawstring bag is included for storage of the pieces. The pieces are very similar to traditional wooden checkers, yet slightly smaller.
GAME HISTORY / HOW TO PLAY:
• The game of Merels or Morris is so ancient that its origin is unknown. From the stones of ancient Kurna in Egypt, to the stone and bronze age burial sites of Cr Bri Chualann (County Wicklow, Ireland), the pattern for the board has been found in many ancient contexts. By medieval times it had spread far and wide across the three continents of the old world. It was the game of choice for many, particularly bored monks and priests, who carved its board design into the stones and seats of their abbeys and cathedrals. Eventually, the game was transformed into several variants, each requiring new strategies to play, created by the different cultures over the centuries who adopted the game as their own.
• Merels is a strategic three-in-a-row game. Two players each have an equal number of pieces and play on a board of 18-24 points, depending upon the variant being played. The players strive to make rows of three along the marked lines, first by placing the pieces on the board one at a time (as in tic-tac-toe), and then by moving the pieces from one point to another along a marked line. Forming a row of three pieces (called a ‘mill’) allows a player to remove an enemy piece. It is possible to achieve stalemate during the placement phase of this game; if nobody has made a 'mill' then the pieces may not move and the game is declared a draw. A player wins the game by reducing the enemy to two pieces (thus negating any chance of forming a mill).
You can keep up-to-date on events and projects in the works on:
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
Sep 27, 2019