Hnefatafl Game: Miniature handheld "Magpie" modern variant of tafl, handcrafted from maple hardwood. Wonderfully decorated with a laser engraved historical motif, a Vendel beast design, around the edges and intricate designs within the play grid; all burned directly into the wood surface, then further embellished with woodburned shading done by hand. An attractive way to take the ancient strategy board game of tafl "on-the-go" - sure to provide many years of enjoyment and strategic challenge for players of all ages.
This item is READY TO SHIP; the pictures provided are of the actual board and pieces you shall receive upon purchase.
• Hnefatafl board constructed of 1/2" thickness maple wood. This is a miniaturized version of my standard sized 7x7 grid "Magpie" hnefatafl board; very suitable for traveling and carrying to events, such as Renaissance Faires, LARP events, picnics, etc.
• All artwork is achieved through the use of a powerful laser engraver and then enhanced by hand with pyrography, the art of woodburning. The board is finished with a natural oil stain to enhance the artwork and is then preserved with a high quality satin lacquer.
• Board has a playing grid area of 3.5 inches, with a 1+ inch artistic border surrounding the grid, for a total board size of approximately 6 inches square.
• Playing pieces (13 total) are included. Created in-house from maple and black walnut woods, then oiled and lacquered. A muslin pouch is included for storage and transport of the pieces.
GAME HISTORY / HOW TO PLAY:
• Hnefatafl (pronounced "neffa-toffel") was invented in Scandinavia and taken to all corners of the Viking world: from Scandinavia to Russia, Germany to the British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, and even as far as Turkey and Newfoundland . It was such a good game of strategy and cunning that not only did the Vikings play it but also the people they came into contact with; the Anglo Saxons, the Celts, and the Sami in Lapland all came to love the game and produced their own variants. Hnefatafl is mentioned in the sagas, and skill in the game was held as a worthy virtue in Viking society. It has been theorized that hnefatafl predates the game of Chess by nearly 500 years.
• The King, starting from an opening position in the center, wins the game if he reaches any one of the four corner points along the grid edge. The attackers win if they capture the king by surrounding or flanking him on two or more sides. The strategies involved in these actions can make the game more challenging than the simple rules suggest. A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
Processing / ship time for this board is 1-3 business days after purchase date. Board and pieces will be shipped via USPS First Class or Priority Mail; if another service is desired, please contact me prior to ordering.
You can keep up-to-date on events and projects in the works on:
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.