Perfect for LARP, Cosplay and events where actual weapons are not allowed, this Viking bearded axe is perfect for the Viking costuming enthusiast! Created by hand from a length of ash pole and 8-9 oz veg-tan leather, this costume accessory is convincingly painted and adorned with pyrographed artwork. Look the part of a threatening Viking raider in a completely non-lethal fashion! This axe is built to withstand the elements as well as constant handling, and with proper care is sure to last many a raid!
This item is MADE TO ORDER; with a processing time of approximately 2 weeks. The pictures are of previously created axes and their inspirational counterpart - your Viking Cosplay Axe will be created to your requests and specifications.
- Viking bearded axe created from a 1.125-inch diameter length of ash pole and heavy 8-9 oz. veg-tan leather. The ash handle is shaped to be slightly convex at the wrapped section, and the ends rounded and smoothed.
- The axe head is folded around the top of the handle using a high-strength resin adhesive; a small card of kydex material is inserted between the layers and into a slot cut into the handle, to promote stability and rigidity of the leather. The result is a flexible, but not 'floppy', axe head. Detail and embossing as pictured is added when the head shape is initially cut out. Once the adhesive is fully cured, the axe head is sanded and given it's final shape; the 'blade' is rounded and the edges smoothed.
- The axe head is painted by hand using a range of quality acrylics; several different layers of color within silver as well as ink washes for aging and wear. Lastly, a gilder's paste is used to highlight some of the raised detail.
- The handle is adorned on two opposing sides with woodburned artwork. This art is applied by hand, typically in line with the flat sides of the axe head, though different positioning can be requested. Customers may also submit/request their own artwork for the handle; please message me so that we may discuss the details.
- Prior to wrapping the handle, the entire axe is sprayed with a satin lacquer to protect the painted and burned details. The handle is then wrapped with a heavy leather material over a layer of resin adhesive to ensure it always stays intact.
- Total length of the axe is 20 inches; the axe head is 6.5-inches across by 5.5-inches tall.
This axe is suitable for costume purposes only; it is not recommended for any serious form of mock combat where the possibility of clashing with another weapon or shield may take place.
Completed axes will ship via USPS Priority Mail; if you require another delivery option, please message me prior to ordering.
You can keep up-to-date on events and projects in the works on: