Enjoy a rousing game of cribbage with this beautifully handcrafted and decorated cribbage board, complete with Celtic-themed artwork and a matching card deck. Known popularly as "Britain's National Card Game", cribbage is a relatively 'young' game historically, but since it's creation, it has grown increasingly popular, particularly with players of card-based games. This two-player version of Sir John Suckling's game, derived from a lesser known game called "noddy" in the 17th century, has simple rules but intricate subtleties and tactics in gameplay that can be learned and utilized in each new game session, guaranteeing an exciting, challenging experience each time. Perfect for the avid Cribbage player and interested novice alike, this set is built to last countless games and sure to become a functional, artistic heirloom for future generations.
This board is READY TO SHIP; the pictures are of the actual cribbage set you will receive. The card deck and pegs featured are included.
- Cribbage board created from multiple layers of cherry and walnut hardwoods; the individual pieces precisely cut with a laser engraver. The layers are then glued together to form the storage 'body' of the board. A 1/2-inch thick piece of walnut makes up the top scoring panel, which pivots on a brass dowel and is held closed by two neodymium magnets.
- Artwork is performed by hand utilizing the art of pyrography; the art is a repeating pattern of the historically recognizable Gaelic 'swirl' design, found originally carved into stones and later adorning the pages of ancient books. A simpler swirl design is burned into the cribbage board base edges in a continuous line on all four sides.
- Wood color is attained by the character of the wood itself after applying a natural oil. No pigmented stains are used. A satin lacquer is applied last to protect the board surface and seal in the carbonized artwork details.
- Two tracks, or "streets" are used for scoring, each track with 120 holes, each 1/8-inch in diameter. The copper and brass pegs, or "spilikins" fit perfectly and securely into the holes provided.
- Cards are a limited-release deck from Bicycle called "Tuatha De Danaan" or "Celtic/Gaelic Myth". Pegs are produced from real metal.
- Rules are not included with the board; however, there are numerous online sources offering free rules and even variant rules, the Bicycle Cards website being one such source.
- Approximate overall dimensions of the board and storage base is 15x5x1.5 (LxWxH).
You can keep up-to-date on events and projects in the works on:
www https://www.ignitedartsofmaine.com https://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design