Portable folding Hnefatafl game board, uniquely handcrafted of hardwood and leather, with wood-burned artwork and detailing. A traditional board game of strategic maneuver and capture with a clever design allowing for easy storage and travel - an IGNITED Arts exclusive! A prominent game that has endured the test of time, from the Viking Age to the eighteenth century, this game is now experiencing a resurgence in popularity in our modern day. A functional piece of rustic art that is sure to bring enjoyment to players of all ages for years to come; the multiple strategies involved are as diverse and compelling as chess. This is a folding portable board game, very suitable for traveling and carrying to events, such as Renaissance Faires, LARP events, reenactment gatherings, picnics, camping trips, etc. Three game variants are available for order/production: Irish Brandub (7x7), Finnish Tablut (9x9), or Danish Skjaldborg (11x11).
• MADE TO ORDER
• LASER-CUT & HANDCRAFTED, with pyrographed artwork
• LEAD TIME: 2 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please inquire if a specific due date is needed)
• FREE SHIPPING
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Ash, Cherry, Maple, Oak, Poplar, Walnut [Sample Chart included in Photos]
(all woods are finished with a natural, non-pigmented stain, then sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Carved (for a rustic, travelled appearance)
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 16 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos]
Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: Variable; 7x7 Brandub 7x7x.5 inches [LxWxH] / 9x9 Tablut 9x9x.5 inches [LxWxH] / 11x11 Skjaldborg 11x11x.5 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: Variable; 7x7 Brandub - 13 / 9x9 Tablut - 25 / 11x11 Skjaldborg - 37 ‘people peg’-style pawns (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Runic inscription reads (in anglicized transliteration): "A warrior must keep his blades sharp; yet his wits must be sharper still" (Customers may
submit their own personalized inscription, to be represented in the same style - please use the Personalization option.
The board is magnetized along the halved edges to keep the board intact during gameplay.
GAME HISTORY / HOW TO PLAY:
• Hnefatafl (pronounced "neffa-toffel") was invented by the Vikings and taken to all corners of the Viking world: from Scandinavia to Russia, Germany to the British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, and even as far as Turkey and Newfoundland. It was such a good game of strategy and cunning that not only did the Vikings play it but also the people they came into contact with; the Anglo Saxons, the Celts, and the Sami in Lapland all came to love the game and produced their own variants. Hnefatafl is mentioned in the sagas, and skill in the game was held as a worthy virtue in Viking society. It has been theorized that Hnefatafl predates the game of Chess by nearly 500 years. Due to renewed interest in the game and diligent research by game historians, there are now well over 100 variants available to players utilizing the Hnefatafl game mechanics; some including the use of dice to dictate movement or initiative.
• The King, starting from an opening position at the center square, wins the game if he reaches any one of the squares along the grid's outer edge, or any corner square (depending upon the variant played). The attackers win if they capture the King. Captures are performed by flanking or surrounding an enemy piece on two or more sides. The strategies involved in these actions can make the game more challenging than the simple rules suggest. As mentioned previously, there are also many variable rules available that can be implemented for a different game experience.
• A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
You can keep up-to-date on events and projects in the works on: