Checkers is one of the best known and most-played board games known to man, enjoyed by many board game enthusiasts all around the world. It is a descendant of the game of Alquerque, though in the British Museum there are specimens of ancient Egyptian checkerboards, discovered with their accompanying pieces in burial chambers. The game was played by the pharaoh Hatshepsut, as well as mentioned in writing by the Greeks Homer and Plato. This board would make a great addition to any player's collection, and could also be suitable as a starter board for the game of Chess (squares are not tournament-sized for Chess, see below). Created from quality hardwood, this classic board game will bring challenge and enjoyment for many years to come, and is an excellent way to spend time with a family member or friend. Each game board is created as a functional piece of art with heirloom potential; no two boards are ever created exactly the same.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 4 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Inscribed, Plain, Rockface [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 25 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos] Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 15x15x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 24 checkers (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board: https://www.etsy.com/listing/786439555/color-enhancements-upgrade-option-to?ref=shop_home_active_8&frs=1
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Diversified squares are 1.375-inches each, for a play area of 11-inches square. Grid is not tournament-sized for Chess; and NO CHESS PIECES ARE INCLUDED. Chess sets with a base measurement of 1.125 - 1.25 inches for the King piece (typically about 3-inches tall) work best.
• HOW TO PLAY: The opponent with the darker pieces moves first. Pieces may only move one diagonal space forward in the beginning of the game. Pieces must stay on the dark squares. Pieces are captured by jumping diagonally over it, in the direction of the opposing piece. A piece may jump forward over a multitude of opponent pieces as long as space allows - the space on the other side of the opposing piece must be empty to capture it. When a piece reaches the last row on the opponent's side, a captured piece may be taken and used to “crown” that piece – creating a King. There is no limit to how many king pieces a player may have.
A rules pamphlet is included.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:https://www.ignitedartsdesign.comhttps://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).