Checkers is one of the best known and most-played board games known to man, enjoyed by many board game enthusiasts all around the world. It is a descendant of the game of Alquerque, though in the British Museum there are specimens of ancient Egyptian checkerboards, discovered with their accompanying pieces in burial chambers. The game was played by the pharaoh Hatshepsut, as well as mentioned in writing by the Greeks Homer and Plato. This board would make a great addition to any player's collection, and could also be suitable as a starter board for the game of Chess (squares are not tournament-sized for Chess, see below). Created from quality hardwood, this classic board game will bring challenge and enjoyment for many years to come, and is an excellent way to spend time with a family member or friend. Each game board is created as a functional piece of art with heirloom potential; no two boards are ever created exactly the same.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 4 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Inscribed, Plain, Rockface [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 25 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos] Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 15x15x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 24 checkers (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board:
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Diversified squares are 1.375-inches each, for a play area of 11-inches square. Grid is not tournament-sized for Chess; and NO CHESS PIECES ARE INCLUDED. Chess sets with a base measurement of 1.125 - 1.25 inches for the King piece (typically about 3-inches tall) work best.
• HOW TO PLAY: The opponent with the darker pieces moves first. Pieces may only move one diagonal space forward in the beginning of the game. Pieces must stay on the dark squares. Pieces are captured by jumping diagonally over it, in the direction of the opposing piece. A piece may jump forward over a multitude of opponent pieces as long as space allows - the space on the other side of the opposing piece must be empty to capture it. When a piece reaches the last row on the opponent's side, a captured piece may be taken and used to “crown” that piece – creating a King. There is no limit to how many king pieces a player may have.
A rules pamphlet is included.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!