“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”
Inspired by Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series of books is this highly detailed, handcrafted wooden game board, in actuality the game of Chinese Go, an ancient game of military strategy and capture, that is reputed to be the basis of the game of 'Stones' played and referenced by many of the characters in the book series. Now available as a customizable game board, with iconography and embellishments depicting the Dragon and his Companions against the forces of the Dark One, this game could be an excellent addition to an avid gamer's collection. Completely handcrafted and decorated, this board is a tribute to Robert Jordan's immersive series, and can be a thoughtful, unique gift for readers and game enthusiasts alike.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 3-4 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Carved, Carved & Charred, Plain [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: As pictured, or request different character/faction icons! Custom artwork requests are always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 15x11x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 85 black marbles, 84 white marbles (+ extras for potential loss) [cotton drawstring bags for storage included]
*NEW FOR 2022! OPTIONAL "Go-Ke" bowls for the marble playing pieces, laser engraved with the Wheel, the Flame, and the Fang icons - stained in your choice of color! Bowls are created from quality craft birch plywood and assembled and finished by hand. Go-Ke Bowls can be found here:
• HOW TO PLAY: There were several sizes of Go played over the centuries; this particular size was considered a 'skirmish-sized' game, ideal for learning the intricate rules and scoring. The Go board begins the game empty of pieces, with the less experienced player using the black pieces and beginning the game. Players take turns to place one of their stones on an empty intersection; two or more stones adjacent to each other form a chain. An empty intersection beside a chain is known as a liberty. A chain remains alive while it has at least one liberty. A stone must be placed somewhere it has at least one liberty, or it must adjoin a chain which retains at least one liberty. A stone or entire chain is captured by surrounding it so it has no liberties; the group is removed from the board and kept by the player who has captured it. When stones are captured, either player can occupy the empty points. A stone or chain which is completely surrounded but which retains its liberty is known as a prisoner. It remains on the board but is removed at the end of play. A situation can arise, called 'ko', where a capture followed by a recapture would create a repeated position. Immediate recapture is not allowed; the second player must make another play before recapturing the stone. The game is over when neither player can capture further territory, nor place further stones that would affect the final outcome. This is the case when both territories are in absolute contact. The player who has captured the most territory wins the game.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!