Over 5000 years old, the ancient Egyptian game of Senet is one of the oldest documented games; fragmentary games have been found in tombs dating back to 3100 BC, and tomb paintings in Saqqara depict the game being played by Hesy-Ra, a high official from the Third Dynasty, c.2600 BC. Four Senet boards of different build styles were found in King Tutankhamun's tomb. This artistic replica of one of those finds, featuring stylized thematic artwork burned into the wood surfaces and accented by colorful stains and gilder's paste, is sure to be not only a beautiful decorative piece, but an entertaining diversion as well. This handcrafted wooden racing game can be both intriguing and challenging, and will make an excellent addition to any avid gamer's collection. Constructed of natural wood materials, this game is crafted to be of heirloom quality; a great way to enjoy some quality time with family and friends - sure to last for generations to come.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork, stained accents, and gilded details
• LEAD TIME: 4 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple (wood is finished with a satin lacquer)
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: As depicted in Photos (variances in final motif will naturally occur). Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 12x4x3 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 10 pawns with 4 casting sticks (all pieces easily stored in box/drawer)
• ADDITIONAL INFO: Inside of the box drawer is felted; the drawer magnetizes closed.
• HOW TO PLAY: A game of Senet begins with 5 pieces or pawns from each player being placed alternating on squares 1-10 of the board (these squares are furthest from the marked 'reward' squares). Casting sticks, colored on one side and plain on the other, are used to determine movement; moving from square 10 to square 11 and onward in a zig-zag pattern along the remainder of the game grid, always crossing onto the next row at the ends. Landing on a square containing an opponent's piece is considered an attack, and the pieces are exchanged. There are squares that are considered safe for any piece residing on them, as well as a space that is considered a trap. Three or more pawns in a line is considered a blockade, and no opponent piece may pass. Pieces landing on the last square (30) remain until the start of that player's next turn; if that player has no pieces on the starting line (1-10), then at that time, the piece can be removed. The object is to move all five pieces off the board in this way before your opponent.
• A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!