Dama (also known as Turkish Draughts) is a variant of draughts (checkers) played in Turkey, Greece, Egypt and several other locations around the Mediterranean Sea. It is experiencing a resurgence in popularity as traditional board gamers from around the world have begun playing this centuries-old game. The board can feature a historically and/or culturally-inspired motif and is created as a functional piece of art, sure to bring enjoyment to many generations.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 3 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Inscribed, Plain [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 25 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos] Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 11x11x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 32 laser-engraved checkers (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board:
Laser-Engraved Inlays - add precise graphical elements to the playing grid
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Open positions for each player marked with inlays matching color of playing pieces
• HOW TO PLAY: On an 8×8 square board, 16 checkers are lined up on each side, in two rows. The back rows are vacant. A traditional Turkish draughts gameboard is typically not 'diversified', having no alternating checkerboard colors. White moves first. Checkers move orthogonally forwards or sideways one square, capturing by means of a jump; they cannot move or capture backwards or diagonally. When a pawn reaches the back row of his opponent's side of the board, it promotes to a king. Kings can move any number of empty squares orthogonally forwards, backwards or sideways. A king captures by jumping over an opponent’s piece; multiple jumps/captures are allowed. A player wins if the opponent has no legal move, either because all his pieces are captured or he is completely blocked. A king piece versus a single pawn also wins the game. More modern tournament rules expand the method of play further and bring an extra level of challenge to the game.
A rules pamphlet with both the historical and modern rules variants is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!