Hnefatafl, the game of the Vikings, also known as Viking Chess. This strategy board game traveled with Scandinavian explorers, traders, and raiders alike, and was adopted by many of the cultures they came in contact with. This particular variant is based upon a discovered board fragment from the 1972 Coppergate excavations in York, UK; the remnants of which are now housed in the Jorvik Museum. Despite the obvious evidence of it's existence, it is largely unmentioned in most publications about historical games and their variants. There are a great number of variants utilizing the tafl game mechanics; all ultimately derived from the original historical sources and extant finds. Hnefatafl is an intriguing way to learn strategy and tactics, as well as an excellent means to spend quality time with a friend or family member. Each board is created uniquely from the next as a functional piece of art and is sure to bring enjoyment for generations to come.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 6 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Carved, Carved & Charred, Plain [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 25 designs [Sample Chart included in Photos] Custom artwork requests always welcome!
*In the case of selection H15.10, customers may have their desired name(s) or word(s) burned in runes; please message me after ordering to let me know. Only 1, 2, or 4 words total should be submitted, allowing for either a symmetrical or continuous appearance around the edges of the board*
• MEASUREMENTS: 19x19x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 61 ‘people peg’-style pawns (drawstring bag for storage included)
• UPGRADES / ACCESSORIES:
> Color Enhancements - add colorful details to your board:
> Laser-Engraved Inlays - add precise graphical elements to the playing grid
• ADDITIONAL NOTES / INFO: Historical open positions are inlaid with wood(s) complementing the completed board.
• HOW TO PLAY: The King, starting from an opening position at the center square, wins the game if he reaches any one of the squares along the outer grid edge. All pieces move as a rook does in Chess. The attackers win if they capture the King by flanking or surrounding him with two or more of their number. The strategies involved, as well as modifications to the rules of capture and movement for the different variants, can make the game more difficult than the base gameplay mechanics suggest.
This 15x15 grid board game will come with artistic detail and inlays denoting the opening positions for two game variants that can be played on this size grid – historic “Coppergate Tafl” (as per the remnant board) and modern “Serif Cross”, but other variants and even ‘house rules’ games can be adapted easily due to the relatively flexible mechanics of the game.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:https://www.ignitedartsdesign.comhttps://www.mainemade.com/members/ignited-arts-design
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).