A traditional wooden board game of Roman origin with wood-burned, historically inspired art. Ancient Rome was known for it's advancements in architecture, government, and art, to name a few; they also adopted or created many great games to pass the time. Completely handcrafted, this modern interpretation of the ancient game of Ludus Duodecim Scriptorum, or Duodecim Scripta, is created from quality hardwood. A fast paced racing game involving opponent player captures and dice rolls to dictate movement, this game will bring many hours of enjoyment to the avid traditional board gamer as well as enthusiasts of Roman history. A functional piece of art that will stand the test of time as surely as the ancient game has endured over the centuries.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 2 -3 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple (sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt/Charred
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 4 thematic designs, as described below. Custom artwork requests always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 16x6x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 30 wooden checkers, 3 dice (cotton drawstring bag for storage included)
• Ludus Duodecim Scriptorum board constructed of 3/4" thick hardwood (your choice of cherry, maple, or poplar); with a decorative charred edge. The board measures approximately 16x6x1 [LxWxH] inches total in size, making for a very portable version of this classic, rustic game.
• All artwork is achieved through the use of pyrography, the art of wood-burning. Four designs are available, representing different classes of Roman society: Centurion, Citizen, Gladiator, and Senator. Each social class will have it's own definable artwork - Centurion will feature implements of war and of the Legions (shields, helms, vexillum, pilum, and the very recognizable gladius sword); Citizen will feature examples of architecture and art (column scrollwork, pottery decorations, musical instruments, and building silhouettes); Gladiator will feature details from the harsh life and death found in the arenas (galea/helms, cestus, sika, parmula/shield, and the gladius graecus), and Senator will feature aspects or personas of ancient Roman government (scrolls, busts of famous individuals, ornate lecterns, etc.) Examples of each design theme are featured in the photos - new designs are created regularly! Additionally, Latin words or phrases and small thematic designs (selected by artist unless otherwise requested) are burned into the appropriate areas on the track as an indication of the course players must follow. Small wooden finials are attached into the bottom of the board as decorative feet, thus completing the thematic look and feel of the game. The board is finished with a satin lacquer to protect the wood and artwork.
HOW TO PLAY:
• The game is played by two players on a board of three tracks of twelve spaces each. All pieces start off the board. Players decide who goes first by lot or by agreement.
A player rolls all 3 dice simultaneously. Each die shows the number of cells to move by, either for three different pieces, one from each die, or for one or two pieces in sequence.
For each number rolled the player can choose to do one of the following; enter a new piece onto the board, based on the number rolled on one die, or move a piece that is already on the board by the number of points on one die. If all of a player’s pieces are in the last six exit cells, they can move a piece off the board by moving it the exact number of spaces needed to remove it off the board. If a piece is knocked off the board by the opponent, then it must be re-entered onto an entry or starting cell, based on the number rolled on one of the dice. Pieces of the same color can be stacked on top of each other to an unlimited height; if two or more pieces are stacked on top each other, they are safe. The opponent’s pieces may not land on that cell. If the player’s piece lands onto a cell with only one opponent’s piece in it, the opponent’s piece gets knocked off the board and must be reentered back from the beginning on the opponent’s next turn, before any other piece is moved. The player who moves all fifteen of their pieces off the board first wins the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!