Also known as the French Military Game, Hare & Hounds is played on a small board of eleven points. The game is believed to have originated in 19th century France, and became popular with the French military during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871; this gave rise to its alternative title "French Military Game". This handcrafted wooden game can be highly challenging despite it's small size, with underlying diverse mathematical strategies. The board and pieces are highly portable; the pawns are contained within the board itself for easy storage and transport. The heirloom-quality game is built to be enjoyed and admired for generations. This small piece of functional art would make a unique and cherished addition to any board gamer's collection, and is an excellent way to spend quality time with a friend or family member.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 2 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple (examples of each are included in the Photos); wood and artwork is sealed with a satin lacquer.
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Inscribed, Plain (examples included in the Photos)
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: 2 Design Pairs, as shown; Celtic-style interpretations of hounds and hares, with optional 'tracks' in the open positions of each player. Natural variances will occur in each board created. Custom artwork requests are always welcome - please message me!
• MEASUREMENTS: 8x8x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 4 pawns ('people peg' type, in two differing styles) - pawns are stored in a magnetized gate-slide compartment within the board itself. Two extras, one of each type, are included in case of loss.
• HOW TO PLAY: Hare & Hounds is played by two players on a board of eleven points, connected by lines of movement. One player takes the part of three hunters (hounds), the other the part of a single prey piece (hare). First the hunter player moves one of his pieces, then the prey moves, play alternating thereafter until the game is ended. A hunter piece may move one step along a marked line in any forward or sideways direction, but never backward or diagonally. The prey may move one step in any direction along a marked line. There is no jumping or capturing; rather, the prey wins by passing the hunters and reaching the opposite end of the board from which they started. The hunters win by trapping the prey so that it cannot move in its turn. If the hunters do not advance for ten turns, then they are judged to be stalling, and the prey therefore wins the game. An alternative to the original game has the Hare player starting the game in the centermost space. A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!
Feb 22, 2023
The game is even more beautiful than I expected. Made with great skill, perfect in every detail.