Go is an abstract strategy board game for two players, in which each player's goal is to surround more territory than their opponent. The game was invented in China more than 2,500 years ago and is believed to be the oldest board game continuously played to the present day. This particular Go board is a smaller "skirmish" sized version, comprised of a 13x13 intersected grid, typically used by players to quickly learn the different strategies and scoring, but just as challenging as the larger, standard 19x19 grid. This board features a hand-drawn motif of vines and thorns, each board completely unique from the next; the artwork burned into the wood surface utilizing the art of pyrography. A great addition to any avid board gamer's collection, and sure to challenge the mind and please the eyes for decades to come.
• MADE TO ORDER
• HANDCRAFTED with pyrographed artwork
• FREE SHIPPING with insurance for Domestic U.S. orders
• LEAD TIME: 3-4 weeks (from time of purchase to shipping day; timeframes can be affected by workload, holidays, etc. – please refer to the Shop Announcement for posted info on creation time frames, or inquire via messages if a specific due date is needed).
• WOOD TYPES AVAILABLE: Cherry, Maple [Sample Chart included in Photos] (all woods are sealed with a satin lacquer)
• EDGE STYLES AVAILABLE: Burnt, Carved, Carved & Charred, Plain, Rockface [Sample Chart included in Photos]
• ARTWORK AVAILABLE: As pictured, but with natural variation due to hand drawing the designs directly unto the board; custom artwork requests are always welcome!
• MEASUREMENTS: 13x13x1 inches [LxWxH] (completed/assembled product)
• PLAYING PIECES/PAWNS: 85 black marbles, 84 white marbles (+ extras for potential loss) [cotton drawstring bags for storage included]
• HOW TO PLAY: There were several sizes of Go played over the centuries; this particular size was considered a 'skirmish-sized' game, ideal for learning the intricate rules and scoring. The Go board begins the game empty of pieces, with the less experienced player using the black pieces and beginning the game. Players take turns to place one of their stones on an empty intersection; two or more stones adjacent to each other form a chain. An empty intersection beside a chain is known as a liberty. A chain remains alive while it has at least one liberty. A stone must be placed somewhere it has at least one liberty, or it must adjoin a chain which retains at least one liberty. A stone or entire chain is captured by surrounding it so it has no liberties; the group is removed from the board and kept by the player who has captured it. When stones are captured, either player can occupy the empty points. A stone or chain which is completely surrounded but which retains its liberty is known as a prisoner. It remains on the board but is removed at the end of play. A situation can arise, called 'ko', where a capture followed by a recapture would create a repeated position. Immediate recapture is not allowed; the second player must make another play before recapturing the stone. The game is over when neither player can capture further territory, nor place further stones that would affect the final outcome. This is the case when both territories are in absolute contact. The player who has captured the most territory wins the game.
A rules pamphlet is included with the game.
• SOCIAL MEDIA / WORLD-WIDE WEB:
PLEASE NOTE: All of my items are crafted by me, in my home studio and workshop. I am a one-man show, with no ‘production partners’ to help mass-produce any item (though I will source pawns, etc. from quality reputable dealers). Be assured that when you buy an item from me, you are getting a distinctive creation from the original maker. Given the inherent nature of the handcrafted work, time frames for more complex creations, whether the complexity is the art, the build, or a combination of both, can be extensive. Please be patient; I communicate and update customers regularly with the status of their unique creation(s).
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Due to the nature of the majority of my work, and the typical amount of business that comes through my shop, wholesale items are not available.
Please contact me before placing an order should you desire customizations not outlined or offered in any particular listing.
During the Christmas holiday season, I can quickly become VERY busy; typically putting in 12 hour days in order to make holiday shipping deadlines.
Please plan ahead - I begin taking Christmas orders in late August, but due to workload, I will close the shop to further made-to-order requests the first week of December. Ready to ship items remain listed and ship as stated in their listing.
In the case of any custom or Made To Order item, I try very hard to meet the listed production/ship time for the listed item. However, I am a one-man shop, and the handcrafted nature of the work, particularly during busy periods, can cause delays. If you require your item by a specific date, please inquire first. I do not rush the work, as I want each piece to be exceptional and worthy to the person purchasing it. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and of course, your patronage!